Bratwurst & Apple Kebabs:
Apple Cider Vinegar Glaze:
- 7 links of Old Wisconsin Turkey Bratwurst
- 2 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 red onion - small
- 8 bamboo skewers
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. cloves
- ¼ tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 oz. dried currants - or raisins
- 1 oz. pistachios - shelled and chopped
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for thirty minutes.
- Prepare a hot grill.
- In a small pot, bring the apple cider vinegar, ½ cup of the apple juice, maple syrup, cloves and peppercorns to a boil. Reduce volume by two-thirds and remove to small bowl.
- In a medium pot, bring 1 cup of apple juice and 1 cup of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add rice, currants (or raisins) and pistachios. Cover pan and let simmer on low for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Cut Old Wisconsin Turkey Bratwursts into 1" chunks.
- Peel and core apples and cut into 1" chunks.
- Cut red onion into 1" pieces.
- Alternate four pieces of bratwurst, four pieces of apple and four pieces of red onion on a skewer.
- Place kebabs on hot grill with a folded sheet of aluminum foil under the exposed part of skewer. Occasionally baste kebabs with apple syrup until bratwurst is cooked.
- Plate the rice on a platter and top with bratwurst and apple kebabs. Drizzle remaining syrup over platter.
Per serving (daily value): Calories 383kcal; Protein 18g (36%); Total Fat 10.23g (16%)(Sat. 3g (17%), Mono. 1g, Poly. 0.5g); Chol. 50mg (17%); Carb. 52g (17%); Fiber 3g (12%); Sugars 23g; Calcium 31mg (3%); Iron 2mg (10%); Magnesium 27mg (7%); Phosphorus 71mg (7%); Potassium 278mg (8%); Sodium 847mg (35%); Zinc 1mg (6%); Copper 0.1mg (7%); Manganese 1mg; Selenium 5μg; Vit. C 5mg (8%); Vit. B1 0.226mg (15%); Vit. B2 0.059mg (3%); Vit. B3 1.637mg (8%); Vit. B5 0.489mg (5%); Vit. B6 0.177mg (9%); Folate 71.496μg; Fol. acid 61.843μg; Food fol. 10μg; Diet. fol. eq. 115μg (29%); Vit. B12 0μg (0%); Vit. A 53IU (1%); Vit. A (RAE) 3μg; Vit. A1 0μg; Vit. E 0.2mg (1%); Vit. K 2μg; Alpha-carotene 0μg; Beta-carotene 28μg; Beta-cryptoxanthin 7μg; Lycopene 0.1μg; Lutein+Zeozanthin 84μg; Alcohol 0g; Caff. 0mg; Vit. D (IU) 0 IU (0%); Starch 0.1g; Theobromine 0mg; Phytosterols 19mg; Sugar alcohol 0g; Trans fat 0g; Glutamic acid 0.5g; Choline 5mg; Vit. D 0μg.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Makes: 7 Servings of 3 oz.
Cost: $3.61/per serving