Ingredients for Pesto (or use a quality pre-made pesto):
- 1 lb fusilli pasta
- 4 oz Old Wisconsin Snack Sticks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes - quartered
- 1 lb mozzarella balls - halved
- 2 oz balsamic vinegar glaze - or to taste
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- ¼ cup pine nuts - alternative
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
For the Pesto:
- Slice the Old Wisconsin Snack Sticks into 1/8” to 1/4” rounds, or slice on bias if desired.
For the Dish:
- If you substitute a pre-made pesto, skip steps 3 through 5.
- Trim basil of any woody stems.
- Add basil, parmesan cheese, garlic, pistachio (or pine) nuts, and half of olive oil to food processor and chop. Slowly drizzle in remaining olive oil and process until somewhat smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bring one gallon of well salted water to boil in stock pot.
- While water is coming to a boil, add sliced snack sticks to a hot pan and sauté until fat begins to render out.
- Add 1 cup of pesto to sauté pan, cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Add fusilli pasta to pot and cook until al dente (roughly 11 minutes at sea level).
- Drain pasta well, place in large bowl and pesto and snack stick mixture. Mix well.
- Add tomato and cheese to pasta. Mix well.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over pasta to taste.
Per serving (daily value): Calories 1103.52kcal; Protein 51.315g (103%); Total Fat 56.743g (87%) (Sat. 17.99g (90%)); Chol. 89.68mg (30%); Carb. 95.89g (32%); Fiber 5.794g (23%); Sugars 9.253g; Calcium 1115.2mg (112%); Iron 3.59mg (20%); Sodium 1006.486mg (42%); Vit. C 15.85mg (26%); Vit. A 2976.851IU (60%); Trans fat 0g
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
Cost: $6.42/per serving