- 1 lb. Old Wisconsin Snack Sticks (2 packages any variety, 8 oz. each), sliced
- 12 pretzel rolls, 3" diameter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. mesquite spice mix
- 3 cups skim milk
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 6 oz. reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Carefully hollow out pretzel rolls to form a bowl; reserve bread to dip in soup.
- In a medium stockpot, brown Old Wisconsin Snack Sticks. Remove from pot and drain excess fat.
- In the same pot, melt butter. Add celery, carrot and onion, and sauté until translucent.
- Add flour to make a roux. Cook until flour, butter and vegetables are well mixed and flour is creamy in color; do not let flour brown. Stir in mesquite spice mix.
- Add milk to the pot in a slow stream while whisking briskly to avoid lumps. Once milk is fully incorporated and comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Return Snack Sticks to pot and melt cream cheese into soup. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese; stir until melted.
- Season to taste; pour soup into bread bowls and serve.
Try any variety of Old Wisconsin Summer Sausage, Bratwurst, Snack Sticks or Bites to enhance this recipe.
Per serving (daily value): Calories 790.489kcal; Protein 28.111g (56%); Total Fat 35.858g (55%)(Sat. 15.155g (76%), Mono. 6.573g, Poly. 0.896g); Chol. 95.035mg (32%); Carb. 83.356g (28%); Fiber 2.467g (10%); Sugars 17.81g; Potassium 291.176mg (8%); Sodium 1334.761mg (56%); Trans fat 0g
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
Makes: 6 servings of 2 soup bowls each
Cost: $3.01 per serving